Samstag, 6. April 2013

Vegan White Chocolate Coconut Truffles


Before and after Christmas I made and am making an effort to go vegan, mostly for health reasons, but also for ecological and ethical reasons. What turned me against eating meat, which I basically lived of before, was reading Jonathan Saffron Foer "Eating Animals". Other things also put me off eating anything deriving from animals, for example, did you know that cow milk always contains a certain amount of pus cells, up from 298 million pus cells per litre? EEW!! And don't get me starting on eggs and what happens to male chicks. 


Okay, sorry, you saw a picture of chocolate truffles and I start off with disgusting tidbits, I just wanted to explain a little, why I have gone off meat, which, I have to admit, love the taste of. Well, you can't have everything in life, but you can have delicious vegan sweet treats, that's something ;)
So these sweetmeats are basically made of coconut, almonds and white chocolate. 
What could possibly be better?

Ingredients:
300g vegan white chocolate
I got mine online, I can recommend Vantastic Foods WEISSE SCHAKALODE Buttons, heavenly
100g peeled almonds
50g almond butter,
I made my own with roasted almonds, which tends to give you a darker truffle, instead of a white version which you get when using readymade almond butter, but keep in mind, it is quite expensive
70ml coconut milk
50g or more of shredded unsweetened coconut

Instructions:
Put the almonds, almond butter and coconut milk in food processor and pulse until mixed and you got chopped almonds. Melt the white chocolate, either over pan with water or in the microwave, just be careful not to burn it. Mix in by hand or handmixer with the almond coconut mixture and then let cool, either in the freezer or on a table top, just so it's hardened a little and cool to the touch. Make little balls out of the mixture and roll them in the shredded coconut. Make sure the mixture tastes okay, by trying one or two balls, go ahead, eat a few more, they are yours to devour, you don't have to share. If any are left, store them in the freezer.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...