Montag, 24. August 2015

Birthday Cake in Joyful Colour

Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake
want to lick the icing off (the icing off)
I know you want it in the worst way (the worst way)
Can't wait to blow my candles out
I want that Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake Cake
Birthday Cake

Rihanna admits, it's not even her birthday, but it was my birthday earlier this month and of course I had to make an epic cake, which I would drool over for a long time, until I make the next one...next year.

So let's have a picture first. Looks good, doesn't it, and it's vegan too.


Now lets have a look inside...even MORE COLOUR, yeeees. Absolutely birthday worthy.



I have to be honest, I had intended to make the fondant myself, but then I discovered you can just by vegan fondant, so that was a no brainer. And I'm just enamoured with food paste, you only need a teeny tiny amount and everything gets turned that colour, magnificent. I'd love to show you a picture of my best friend with bright blue tongue and teeth, but she won't let me, so you'll have content yourselfs with a pic of my foot which looks wounded, but just got a little red paste dribbled on top, by accident - the tongue and teeth were on purpose ;)



I made a vegan coconut orange layer cake with a vanilla caramel buttercream and covered it with fondant. I have to warn you though, it was over the top sweet, I like it sweet, but even I had to stop eating after I had eaten half of the cake, naturally I ate it all, but I had a break in between. The heat probably had something to do with it too, it was over 30°C, and we were sitting outside, having a barbecue with friends, so fun, but also, very hot.

So, if you also want an epic birthday cake and don't shy away from too much sweetness - of course you could easily tone it down, by using less sugar - here's the recipe:


Vegan Orange Coconut Layer Cake:
adapted from Veganomicon

Ingredients:
340g sugar
160ml canola or vegetable oil
1 can coconut milk
60 ml soy milk (or regular milk if you’re not worried about this being vegan)
60ml orange juice
3 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
vanilla extract to taste
380g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
200g shredded unsweetened coconut

Heat your oven to 175°C if using a fan oven.

Mix the orange juice and the soy milk in a bowl and let it sit for about 10 min - that will curdle the milk and you get buttermilk - when you combine it later with the baking powder, the dough will rise better.

Mix all the wet ingredients and the sugar together. Mix in the dry ingredients, until everything is incorporated. Taste it, it's delicious, and as there are no eggs in, no salmonella, so it's quite safe.

Baking
So I baked individual layers, as I wanted a layer cake with different colours. Of course you could just cut the layers after baking the entire batch, but I promise you, that will be quite difficult.

So divide some of the cake batter into a seperate bowl - enough to make one layer -  and add some food colouring, it's best to use food paste, as you don't want to add too much extra liquid. Line a cake tin with some non-grease baking paper and fill it with your first batter. Bake for 15-20 min, depending on your oven it may take longer or shorter, just check after 15 min and do the toothpick test.

Once the first layer is done, set it aside, to cool down and attempt the next layer and colour, just do the same routine as above for all the layers.

Once everything is cooled down, you can make the buttercream. Of course you could also make a ganache or whatever other filling you would like to use, as long as it's not too liquidy - nothing with cream, as that would dissolve the fondant, something high in fat like buttercream or ganache works best.

Buttercream

300g vegan butter
200g powdered sugar (I made my own with a coffee grinder as I had forgotten to buy some)
Vanilla extract to taste
Caramel extract to taste
food paste

Beat everything together until it's smooth.

Assemble the cake.

Put one layer down first, it can be rather soggy, if you don't bake it long enough, so be careful.
Cover the first layer with buttercream and cover with teh next layer, and so on. Once you've put all the layers on top of each other, don't forget to cover the sides and the top with buttercream, otherwise the fondant won't adhere to the cake and slide right off.

Add colour to the fondant - use about 500g of the fondant. Knead it and roll it out thin, not too thin, but large enough, that it will cover the cake top and the sides. To roll it out, I placed some baking paper on the taple top, sprinkled powdered sugar on top, that prevents it from sticking.
Try to smooth out any wrinkles. I added some flower fondant shapes - you have to add some buttercream to the bottom of them, otherwise they will slip off.





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...